Thinking about switching to natural gas appliances may be a good option to save money at the same time as experiencing higher levels of comfort, convenience and efficiency.
Natural gas easy to extract in the United States resulting in low, stable prices per unit, and natural gas is considered the least polluting fossil fuel, consequently, it can be seen as the least environmentally damaging choice.
If you already have gas installed in your house, or are building a new house you might look at the probable gains of switching to natural gas and gas home appliances. Read more about gas appliances here from True Baton Rouge Appliance Repair:
What are Gas Home Appliances?
A natural gas appliance uses natural gas as the dominant fuel source. These goods are a viable substitute for electrically powered home appliances for heating your living space, heating water, cooking your food and even cooling your home and tumble drying.
In many instances natural gas appliances nonetheless will need an electricity supply but use gas as the major fuel. The amount of electricity needed will vary from appliance to appliance. E.g, a gas boiler will still work even when there is a power outage, whereas a gas dryer still needs electrical components to make the drum turn.
A List of Devices That Operate Using Gas.
Natural gas can be used for more than heating.
Providing heat with natural gas is usually less expensive than keeping warm with electricity. Your outgoings could halve depending on your fuel tariffs and efficiency.
Natural gas heats the air in less time and offers better reliability.This is a big plus if you if you get power cuts
Aside from heating gas is ideal for a log fire with real flames. With a natural gas fire, you still get that open fire feeling and plenty of warmth without the mess.
Cooling Your Home
Gas air conditioners can be an efficient means to cool your home.
Natural gas fueled air conditioning requires a greater initial investment but is more cost effective to run and maintain meaning cost savings in the long term. Better performance also has a positive impact on your carbon footprint.
Natural gas water boilers come in two forms, tank heaters and non-tank or on-demand heaters. Natural gas heaters are more rapid and more productive than electric water heaters. Tankless water heaters also provide a continuous supply.
The fact that natural gas lines are usually dug into the ground and sheltered from the weather ensures you will still have the ability to shower even when there’s a power outage.
We’ve all encountered the phrase “cooking with gas”. A great commercial strategy created to link natural gas to effectiveness and efficiency.
Clever marketing or not the saying has stuck around because it is valid. Most chefs choose gas for the ease with which you can vary the size of the flame, and natural gas stoves are also a less wasteful way of turning fuel into heat.
You might not immediately think of using natural gas to dry your clothes, however, gas clothes dryers are a great choice. Gas Dryers dry clothes a few degrees hotter thus clothes dry in a shorter time and clothes have to endure less tumbling.
Natural Gas doesn’t just have indoor uses. Outside the home, natural gas is often used for lighting and cooking and can even be used to heat your pool.
Impress your guests before they even reach the front door with driveway lighting, keep them cosy on cool evenings and get dinner ready outside at the perfect temperature, whenever you are ready, and without the worry of remembering to fill up your propane bottles.
Just like indoor water heaters a pool or spa heater will get up to temperature twice as rapidly as an electric heater. And natural gas outdoor heaters give atmosphere as well as offering comfort for luxurious indoor-outdoor living.
Benefits of Natural Gas Appliances
With any decision you make it’s best weight up the pros and the cons. First up the advantages.
- Gas is generally less expensive than electricity thus lowering your annual power bills.
- Natural gas appliances tend to use less energy making them financially and environmentally viable.
- Natural gas is an environmentally responsible choice as it is considered the least environmentally damaging of the fossil fuels, contributing around 27% less carbon dioxide than oil and 45% less C02 than coal.
- Natural gas lines are generally run underground making supply less likely to get interrupted. This means you can continue to heat water even if you get a power outage.At worst you might need to find a match.
Disadvantages of Natural Gas Home Appliances
- Gas devices generally are subject to a higher initial investment. Both the ticket price of the appliance and the cost to install are likely to be greater for a gas appliance when comparing to electrical appliances.
- Having a natural gas line installed if you don’t already have one can be expensive. The price will vary depending on how close the nearest supply is to your home.
- Having a gas line moved or extended can also be expensive.
- Safety comes first and carbon monoxide can be an issue if natural gas home appliances are not properly installed or regularly maintained. Installing a carbon monoxide alarm is non-negotiable is you use gas in your home.
Is a Natural Gas Appliance Right for You?
Making the decision between natural gas and electricity is not straightforward and the optimal choice for you probably won’t be the best choice for everyone.
If your main driver is cost natural gas is at the moment the lower priced option. However, while studies show that three-quarters of new home buyers are choosing to have natural gas, switching to gas comes at a cost. With this in mind, getting a quote for installing a natural gas line if you don’t already have one is a good first step.
Another key advantage of natural gas is reliability of supply. If power outages are common in your area then being able to heat water, heat or cool your home and cook during outages can be a big plus.
Finally, in environmental terms, while natural gas appliances are generally more efficient you can’t switch them to renewable sources like you can electrical appliances. Opting for renewable energy may turn out to be a better investment and more environmentally responsible options in the long run.